In one month, I will be running Hood to Coast with Nuun! I can’t believe how quickly it is coming up!
If you haven’t heard of Nuun (pronounced “noon”) before, it is an electrolyte tablet that you can add to your water to help with hydration, without the need for excess carbohydrates and calories that are often in other products. Nuun Active Hydration is perfect for during and after exercise to replace the electrolytes lost due to sweating. I don’t know about where you are, but this summer’s hot temperatures are surely causing hot, sweaty runs here in California.
Besides being good just for runners, I learned from Nuun that nearly 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated, so maybe others could use it too!
I also wanted to share with you some other facts and tips about about getting and staying hydrated:
– During endurance events, athletes can get to 1-2% dehydration. Even at this small amount, the body’s temperature regulating mechanisms can be affected. (For a 130 pound person, this would mean losing less than 2.6 pounds during a workout.)
– Dehydration is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue. It can also result in muscle fatigue, cramps, dizziness, nausea, and rapid heart rate.
– Water helps you regulate body temperature, transport nutrients and oxygen, and remove waste from cells.
– Determining your sweat rate can tell you exactly how much liquid you should intake during athletic activities. See how to calculate this here, or use Runner’s World’s new tool to estimate based on weight, air temperature, and pace.
– Your urine does not need to be clear for you to be hydrated. In fact, as long as it is light yellow, like lemonade you are doing pretty well. You want to avoid it being the color of apple juice or darker.
– Overhydrating can also be very dangerous. This is called hyponatremia, and is caused by too much fluid intake, leading to low sodium levels in the blood. A study done at the US Army Research Institute in Environmental Medicine found that drinks with electrolytes (like Nuun) can delay hyponatremia. The sodium in these drinks can help maintain healthy blood sodium levels.
In honor of this awesome opportunity to run HTC, Nuun is letting me giveaway a four pack of their choice to one lucky DYL reader! Enter using the Rafflecopter widget below:
And if you just can’t wait for the giveaway, I have a coupon code for 15% off for all Defy Your Limitations readers. Enter the code hydrateHTC at checkout! The code is good through September.
What are my favorite flavors?? Currently, strawberry lemonade, and lemon tea. mmmm!